The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

PAHS Shows Support for Breast Cancer

Tiffany Hummel
On October 9th, the boys soccer team stood behind Iris Nelson for a picture after giving her flowers and hugs to recognize her for her fight against breast cancer. The team also wore custom made shirts to show their support.

October isn’t just the month that has Halloween in it, it’s a month of Breast Cancer Awareness. This has been recognized for about four decades. This month is dedicated to spreading awareness about breast cancer in both women and men and provides everyone with information on the topic. 

“I think Breast Cancer Awareness is important because we need to recognize people who are struggling,” said senior Zakai Staff “My mom is one of the strongest people I’ve ever met and fights everyday and is one of my biggest inspirations. It’s really important also because people that are fighting against cancer need to know that we’re here for them and we see their struggles.”

The Pottsville Area High School’s sports teams have supported Breast Cancer Awareness Month by wearing pink apparel. The girls soccer team wore pink jerseys to their home games on Wednesday, October 4th and Thursday, October 5th for their senior night. The boys soccer team wore pink jerseys to their game on Monday, October 9th. The boys and girls cross country team has ordered pink wristbands and sweatbands to wear to their meet on Wednesday, October 11th. 

Around the school, students are wearing pink bracelets and shirts to support Breast Cancer Awareness. The cheerleaders are also planning on making the next home football game on October 13th a pink out theme in support. Many students of the Pottsville Area High School have been supporting Breast Cancer Awareness Month all around.