The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

The Wheel’s last day arriving soon

Keeshaun King
The former Wheel in Pottsville closed down in January. The owners changed it to Tres, to give Pottsville something new.

The Wheel in Tamaqua is currently open but its last day is closing in and it will be taken over by new owners. In 2020, 4 years after Pottsville opened its location, the Wheel in Tamaqua opened in July. Although there hasn’t been an official closing date the Wheel in Tamaqua will be closing sometime in December.

New owners will be taking over the former Wheel turning it into Gimbel’s. Megan Gimbel and her husband Aaron Gimbel who own Gimbel Farms LLC and operate a food truck will be opening the restaurant in the new year, 2024. No set date has been provided for when they will open. The new menu hasn’t been finalized either but it has been said that they will offer gourmet burgers, fried chicken sandwiches and hand-cut fries. Megan said they may also choose to keep grilled cheese sandwiches to continue the Wheel’s legacy. 

Over six years ago the original Wheel restraunt opened up in Pottsville in September of 2016. They were known for their build-your-own grilled cheese which consisted of over 85 ingredients to choose from. They also offered appetizers, milkshakes, and over 50 varieties of beer. One of their signature appetizers was the Wheel Fries which consisted of hand cut fries, their homemade cheese sauce, bacon, and fried jalapeños. As well as the crabby fries which consisted of hand cut fries, Old Bay, their homemade cheese sauce, and crab meat. 

January 16, 2023 was their last day. The owner said he wanted to change things up, therefore opening Tres, which serves tacos, tapas, and tequila. In early February a soft opening was held, then on February 24th at 4 p.m. a grand opening was held with the Schuylkill Chamber of Commerce.  

At Tres you don’t get to build your own taco for say but there are many options including, Sriracha Lobster, Sweet Revenge, and many more. They also have small plates such as the Crabby Chips similar to the Crabby Fries from the original Wheel menu, but instead of fries it’s homemade chips. There are also many more new small plate options to choose from. Tres also offers a full bar, which features more than two dozen types of tequilas and a wide variety of margaritas which you can choose to build yourself.