The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

National Honors Society 2023-2024 Inductees

National+Honors+Society+students+recognized+for+being+in+the+top+5%25+or+10%25+of+their+class.+Students+were+ecstatic+after+being+inducted+and+being+able+to+call+themselves+one+of+the+smartest+in+their+grade.+
Cullen Clarke
National Honors Society students recognized for being in the top 5% or 10% of their class. Students were ecstatic after being inducted and being able to call themselves one of the smartest in their grade.

National Honors Society is an ongoing thing here at PAHS. It is run by Mrs. Patty Halko and Mrs. Amy Babcock. It has been going on since the school opened back in 1939. It honors the hard working juniors and seniors of the whole school. Although it’s only for juniors and seniors, it’s what you do as a freshman and sophomore to get where they are standing today. You must excel in both academic and extracurricular activities and balance your work/school life like all these students have. 

Every year, there is a special guest speaker out of Pottsville’s body of teachers. The inductees can choose who they want their speaker to be. Every year it is someone different. Last year, it was English teacher, Mr. Andrew Smink. This year, it was Math teacher  Mr. David Sterner. Mr. Sterner’s speech included many of the achievements of the students and explained how to be a good student you must put in twice the amount of effort as the average student. You need to be and do better.

“I was voted by the members of the National Honors Society to represent them as the President this year,” said senior Brenna McGowan. “I’m really lucky to be given the honor to not only have introduced Mr. Sterner at the ceremony, but to also give a speech at the Honor Graduate Ceremony in May of next year.”

The National Honors Society is a prestigious organization for the students here at PAHS. If you keep up the hard work and do better than the minimum, that can be you in a couple of years.