The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

SAG and WGA Impacts Students at PAHS

“I have always loved movies. This strike pushes back movies I’ve been waiting for since 2022. I hope that they get the pay they deserve and the strike ends so I can see the movies I’ve been waiting for,” said junior Cullen Clarke. 

SAG-AFTRA is the Screen Actors Guild- American Federation of Television and Radio Artists. It’s a union that’s supposed to be there for you as an actor/writer. SAG actors are paid weekly for their time on episodes or movies. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) represents writers in film, television, radio, and online media.

The Writers Guild of America is on strike to fight back against their unequal pay, not enough pay, and residuals. Residuals is the amount of money an actor/writer should be paid for reruns. The WGA is trying to fight back because they want to replace the writers with AI, instead the writers want what they rightfully deserve.

While the union is on strike there are a certain amount of rules to be followed. The strike prevents actors and performers from acting and promoting movies in any way that may be released while the strike is ongoing.  Major motion pictures have been stalled because of the strike such as Avatar 3, Moana (live action), and Wicked the Musical, just to name a few.