The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

National Hispanic Heritage Month: Focus on Puerto Rico

Image by Clker-Free-Vector-Images from Pixabay

We celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month to honor Hispanic and Latino American culture. It starts September 15 and ends October 15.

Puerto Rico is an amazing place to be because it’s hot, it features beaches, unique traditions, holidays and amazing waterfalls. 

Celebrating Puerto Rican holidays

New Year’s, El tres Reyes, Holy Friday, Thanksgiving and Christmas are celebrated in Puerto Rico.

What the kids really like is El tres Reyes because every January 6 is when all the kids are at school or somewhere else, that’s when El tres Reyes come in and put some presents under the tree and when the kids get back that’s when every kid waits until it is their turn to open their presents. That’s why kids in Puerto Rico love this holiday!

Quick history of Puerto Rico

Puerto Rican hunter-gatherers reached the island more than 1,000 years ago.

Famous people from Puerto Rico 

Ricky Martin, Rita Moreno, Benicio Del Toro, Daddy Yankee, Roselyn Sánchez, Jennifer Lopez, Roberto Clemente, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jośe Ferrer, Luis Fonsi, Joaquin Phoenix, Raul, Bad Bunny, Miriam Colon, Marc Anthony, Chayanne, Dayanara Torres, Joan Smalls, Rosario Dawson, Carlos Ponce, Tego Calderón, Luis Miguel, and Don Omar are just a few of the famous people who hail from Puerto Rico.

Traditions

One of the best traditions is the Mask Festival. It starts December 28. Everyone has to wear a mask to the festival and there are floats and dancers wearing dresses who dance both in the streets and on the floats. 

A few famous locations are La Coca Falls and El Yunque National Forest. These are beautiful places that tourists and locals love to visit in Puerto Rico.

Foods

Some popular Puerto Rican foods include:

1. Mofongo
  2. Tostones
  3. Pastels
  4. Arroz con gandules
  5. Tembleque 
  6. Coquito

Visiting the Island

If you decide to visit Puerto Rico, Dorado is one of the most beautiful and luxurious hotels on the island. If you’re hunting for an upscale vacation, Dorado is an ideal choice. It means “golden” and hosts many of Puerto Rico’s most famous restaurants like El Ladrillo. (But it can cost a lot.)

But if you want a cheaper hotel, then you should try Vistas de la Bahía. It features a nice bedroom and there is a pool, and a place to see the sunrise. You can even see the beach from the hotel, according to booking.com. 

I hope you enjoyed learning about Puerto Rico and that you will consider visiting one day!