The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Player Returns for Retirement; Post Game Concert

Before+the+game%2C+Adam+Jones+along+with+wife%2C+two+sons%2C+former+teammates+and+others+gathered+together+for+a+picture.+After+the+game+country+singer+Brett+Young+had+a+concert+on+the+field.+
Faith Younker
Before the game, Adam Jones along with wife, two sons, former teammates and others gathered together for a picture. After the game country singer Brett Young had a concert on the field.

On Friday, September 15th at Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD player Adam Jones came back to the Baltimore Orioles to retire. He signed a one-day contract so he could be a part of the Orioles again and retire. There were pre and post game festivities.

Before the game Adam Jones t-shirts were given to the first 15,000 fans. After the Star-Spangled Banner, Adam Jones came out on the field with his family to celebrate his career and retirement. On the screen they played a recap of Adam Jones’ baseball career. Other players that are no longer a part of the Orioles like Nick Markakis and Chris Davis along with others were also there for the special moment. As well as a video compilation of players who couldn’t be there like Matt Wieters, Trey Mancini and J.J. Hardy was shown on the screen.

That night the Orioles played against the Tampa Bay Rays, it was a sold out game with about 47,000 fans. Although the Orioles lost there was a post game event. As well as on September 16th and 17th the Orioles won both games against Tampa Bay, showing everyone they wanna go all the way. They continue to stay in first place in the AL East Division and are in the playoffs. 

After the game country singer Brett Young had a concert at Camden Yards as a part of the Orioles Birdland Summer Music Series. Cannan Cox and Rachel Casson opened up for Brett Young. Orioles workers worked hard and fast after the game to get the field ready, set up the stages and everything else for the post game concert. Brett Young sang some of his greatest hits like “In Case You Didn’t Know”, “Mercy”, “Catch”, “Lady”, “Dance With You”, and many more. 

Adam Jones first started his career as a Seattle Mariner from 2006-2007. Then in 2008 he played for the Orioles for 11 years. In 2019 he played for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Then he headed to Japan for two years to play for the Orix Buffaloes of Japans Nippon Professional Basebal. Last year he didn’t sign anywhere. Now this year he will officially retire as an Oriole.

In 2009 he had a breakout year hitting 19 home-runs which was over two times the amount of home-runs he hit the previous year. Jones never played less than 137 games other than in 2019 he played 119 because of an ankle sprain. During his time as an Oriole he played 1,613 games, hitting 263 home-runs and stealing 90 bases.

Overall he got into 1,823 major league games and tallied 1,939 hits including 336 doubles, 29 triples and 282 home-runs. Jones scored 963 runs, drove in 945 and stole 97 bases, made five All-Star teams and won four Gold Gloves. Jones also represented Team USA internationally in 2013 and 2017 by playing in the World Baseball Classic tournaments. Adam Jones will be missed but had an amazing and successful career.