The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Falling into Autumn

Faith Younker
Summer has come to an end and fall has finally arrived. As we get further into the season the leaves begin to change, creating a beautiful scene.

Turning off the AC and turning up the heat, fall has finally arrived. Saturday, September 23 was the 2023 Autumn equinox. The temperature is decreasing, the color palette of nature is warm and all the fall favorites are making a return. Pumpkin patches, haunted houses, candles and scary movies are in. Signature fall flavors and fall scents, such as apple cider and pumpkin spice, are returning to stores nationwide. 

The returning flavors aren’t for everyone. Senior Tabitha Rauch isn’t a fan of fall flavors. “I’m not one who really likes fall tastes, they’re all a bit too much.” Rauch said, “I do enjoy the fall candles. One scent will forever have my heart and that’s Apple Pie. It just reminds me of being inside all warm and cozy.” 

However, there’s more to fall than just spices and candles. Junior Aliya Dean enjoys all the festivities that come when autumn rolls in. “My favorite fall activities are going to the fairs and going to pumpkin patches.” Dean said, “I love the cold weather and doing things in this weather makes them so much more fun.”

Most fall features don’t start as soon as the autumn equinox occurs. Dunkin’ has had their fall menu items since August 16th, but it doesn’t last long. The menu will be discontinued for the year on October 31st. It’s not uncommon for businesses to discontinue their fall products on November 1st and opt for Christmas instead.

There are many fall festivities to participate in this year. Knoebels’ Hallo-Fun starts October 6th and lasts 4 weekends, ending the 29th. There is also the Haunted Anthracite Tales, who have several fall presentations occurring in Schuylkill County.