The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

A Groundbreaking Moment in History for Women’s Basketball

Peyton+Eckert+%2810%29%2C+Elena+Holden+%2811%2C%29+and+Izabel+Teresavage+%2811%29%2C+watching+the+highly+anticipated+game+in+womens+basketball%2C+Iowa+vs.+South+Carolina.+%E2%80%9CI%E2%80%99m+happy+that+women%E2%80%99s+basketball+is+finally+getting+the+recognition+it+deserves%2C%E2%80%9D+said+junior%2C+Keirra+Jones.+
Maya Johnson
Peyton Eckert (10), Elena Holden (11,) and Izabel Teresavage (11), watching the highly anticipated game in women’s basketball, Iowa vs. South Carolina. “I’m happy that women’s basketball is finally getting the recognition it deserves,” said junior, Keirra Jones.

Womens’ college basketball is making history for the books! During March Madness, a basketball player by the name of Caitlin Clark earned a lot of acknowledgement for being the NCAA’s women’s all-time points record and surpassed 3,527 points. But she’s not the only one breaking records. 

For the highly anticipated women’s college championship, Iowa vs. South Carolina, this was the most watched basketball game of all time since the year 2019. Not only was it the most watched basketball game but the most watched for women’s basketball on record. Last year, the women’s NCAA basketball championship only reached 9.9 million viewers. This year it reached 18.9 million viewers, with people watching highlights and recaps after the game was over. 

“I think it’s really cool how the WNBA is getting the attention it deserves. I think that Caitlin Clark is really changing the women’s basketball game for the better.” said sophomore, Tyler Sibbett. 

Women’s basketball is gaining more and more popularity. It is all thanks to some star players like Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Kamilla Cardoso, Paige Bueckers, and Cameron Brink. They’re all the names of women you’ll hear who changed history for women’s basketball. Thanks is also in order to celebrities like Travis Scott, Jason Sudeikies, and Saturday Night Live for bringing more attention to the WNBA and women’s basketball all together.