The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Junior History classes head to Manhattan

Elizabeth+Martinko+%2811%29%2C+Lauren+Kelly+%2811%29%2C+and+Connor+McGowan+%2811%29%2C+looking+at+the+South+Tower%E2%80%99s+9%2F11+memorial.+%E2%80%9CThe+9%2F11+memorial+alone%2C+had+to+be+the+best+part+of+the+field+trip+just+because+of+the+power+it+held%2C%E2%80%9D+junior+Robert+Rulavage+said+%E2%80%9CIt+was+completely+silent+and+peaceful.%E2%80%9D+
Courtesy of Cullen Clarke
Elizabeth Martinko (11), Lauren Kelly (11), and Connor McGowan (11), looking at the South Tower’s 9/11 memorial. “The 9/11 memorial alone, had to be the best part of the field trip just because of the power it held,” junior Robert Rulavage said “It was completely silent and peaceful.”

Every year, the juniors of American History 3 Honors and APUSH (AP U.S History) head to Manhattan. The trip is for students in those classes to see how immigrants would immigrate to the US back in the 1900s.

Back in the 1900s, immigrants would come to America by boat. They would come to New York to get to Ellis Island to get their immigration papers. This was one of the only ways to get through to America. They called it “Angel Island.” The majority of immigrants who came were able to easily get their papers and pass through.

“The trip was really informative,” junior Elena Holden said “We basically got to see the viewpoint of an immigrant coming to the Ellis Island Immigration center and I thought it was really interesting.”

The whole trip consisted of ferry boats, islands, the Statue of Liberty, and the 9/11 Memorial.  A majority of the students like Allegra Hedemann, Kailey Olenick, Carter Strause, and more said it was an informative and fun trip and enjoyed it very much.