The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Celebrating Black History Month at PAHS

Jackie Robinson
Black history month mural found in the lunch room. The piece is decorated with important black figures. Mural was put up by Diversity Club members.

February is upon us, along with its holidays and celebrations. One of the celebrations during February is Black History Month, a month dedicated to showcasing and celebrating the culture and history of African Americans.

Black History Month has had more significance as time goes on. An increase of police brutality and racism has brought more attention to black issues. These issues have also created new figures in the black community. Although new figures are rising, we still get taught the same stories of the Civil Rights Movement, such as the Montgomery bus boycott.

Diversity Club President Jayce Powell feels that we should put more emphasis on other figures during Black History Month.

“All year round and during Black History Month we talk about the same two people, Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Not saying they weren’t important, they are, but there’s more than just those two.” said Powell, “What I am trying to say here is there are many people in history that have made large changes and broken barriers than just those two. It feels that teachers like to throw them in because they believe it is easier to give students crumbs than to actually put in the effort of showing more.”

Started on February 1st and continuing until February 29th, Diversity club is using the announcements to showcase black figures. Some people include Fredrick Douglas, Ruby Bridges, and Malcolm X.