The student news site of Pottsville Area High School

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Tide Lines

Talk with the Winter Carnival Candidates

Tiffany Hummel
The three Winter Carnival Pageant Candidates stand together after hearing they were nominated. From left to right: Shaina Schmitt, Lauren Kelly, and Brooke Palko. “Winter Carnival helped me break out of my awkwardness and social anxiety, and that was my goal in participating. I loved the events, people, and the girls I participated with.” said 2023’s Snowflake Princess, Brenna McGowan.

Why did you want to participate in the 2024 Winter Carnival? 

Brooke Palko said, “I wanted to participate in the winter carnival so I could represent our school in a positive way and be able to meet new people and show myself in a positive way!”

Are you nervous for the pageant?

Lauren Kelly said, “I would say I am nervous for the pageant, I am a rather outgoing person but when it comes to speaking in front of large crowds it can be a challenge. However, I am excited to put myself out there and thankful for the experience that this will grant me.”

Brooke Palko said, “I’m very happy to be able to represent Pottsville because I feel that I can do a good job to represent our school in a positive way for others to see.”

If you had to run again, would you?

Shaina Schmitt said, “I think that if I had the chance I would run again. I’ve been super excited but also super nervous. there’s so many things to look forward to. i just think it’s going to be a great experience and opportunity.”

What are you most excited about? 

Brooke Palko said, “I am most excited to meet new people and be able to share who I truly am and hopefully inspire others”

Have you ever attended or participated in one? 

Lauren Kelly said, “I have never attended or participated in a pageant, and it was never really something I saw myself doing until recent years. I can not wait for the events to begin.”

On a scale from 1-10 how confident are you feeling about the whole thing? 

Shaina Schmitt said,“I would say that I’m probably feeling like a 5. I am just really excited to make new friends and go through the process.”

How do you feel about representing Pottsville High? 

Brooke Palko said, “What inspired me was seeing people I look up to run for it or people I think are a great example to other people to win and I would hopefully love to do the same.”